Monday, September 12, 2016

'Haunted' and Damned IX

 Notice the Eye of Jenny Puss, left.


"No! No! Don't use that piece!" Jenny protested with her paw. 

The finished product:
Haunted.


Submitting to a Call For Entry is always interesting. Many artists have a stash of work, so they always have something to fit the call. Some calls ask for work done in the last two years. Some calls ask that you live in a certain geographical location.

And some calls, which are the fun ones, ask for work created around a particular theme. As soon as I saw the Call for Entry for the Damned IX- An Exhibition of Enlightened Darkness, I knew I wanted to create something specifically for the show.

Most of my work has a healthy dose of the macabre. Making an assemblage that was deliberately macabre was liberating. I started with an old metal electrical panel box, which was given to me by my friend Roni.  She knows I like old rusty stuff.  I scrounged up my mouse skeletons. I found all kinds of rusty bits and pieces. Then I sat down in the Art Lair and started to work.

The result is Haunted. I think it represents my state of mind. Sometimes. Things are a jumble, and my thought processes loop around death and control and darkness. 

"DAMNED is an exhibition of those extraordinary creations that often emanate from within these prodigious moments to many times reveal enlightenment within our darkest of hours.  This is a minute glimpse within the vast shadows of id and ego…of overall mind and encompassing soul that may intrigue, disturb, inspire and/or repulse.  A one true reflection of self to express that beauty does lie within the repulsive, balance within imbalance or salvation within personal damnations." -from the Damned website


So, yeah- that's kinda what I was aiming for. On a more uplifting note, I really, really hope that Haunted gets accepted to the show. Because the party on October 29th sounds AMAZING and I want to go!  Check out the masquerade party photos from last year!


1 comment:

Anthony J. Langford said...

I love your final artwork. And I agree, it is better than the earlier one.